Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Woolmet House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Woolmet House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 53464

Site Number NT36NW 36

NGR NT 30743 69920

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53464

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Newton
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36NW 36 30743 69920.

(NT 3060 6991) Woolmet Ho (NAT)

OS 6" map (1968)

Woolmet House, a fine 17th c mansion, is an L-shaped structure, three storeys in height, with a main block facing E-W, and the re-entrant angle facing NW. The house is rough-cast, but the dressings of the openings are exposed. The chimneys and turret-staircase are built of ashlar. The gables of the wings are crow-stepped.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1915

Woolmet House is as described.

Visited by OS (BS) 31 October 1975

Despite the OS assertion that the house was extant in 1975 it was demolished in the ealy 1950's due to mining subsidence. Some of the carved stone was incorporated into the Castle of Mey, Caithness by Sinclair MacDonald Architects for HM Queen Elizabeth The Queenmother.

Information from RCAHMS (STG) March 2005

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

House demolished c.1953

3 storey L shaped mansion, dated 1686 over windows, a low wall with lion-gate completing the square. Owned by the National Trust 1952; ground floor inhabited. Workings of nearby Woolmet pit have caused serious subsidence.

Reached by bus to Danderhall. Visible to left of Dalkeith Road

NMRS Printroom

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection Acc no 1997/39

general view of the disused house and tower.

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28869- DC28873, 1954.

Despite the OS assertion that the house was extant in 1975 it was demolished in the ealy 1950's due to mining subsidence. Some of the carved stone was incorporated into the Castle of Mey, Caithness by Sinclair MacDonald Architects for HM Queen Elizabeth The Queenmother.

RCAHMS STG MARCH 2005

Activities

Photographic Survey (1949)

Photographic survey of Woolmet House, Midlothian, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1949

Photographic Survey (April 1952)

Photographic survey of Woolmet House, Midlothian, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1952 prior to demolition.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions