Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cranstoun Old Parish Church And Churchyard

Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Early Medieval), Font (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cranstoun Old Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Churchyard (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Early Medieval), Font (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cranston Kirk; Oxenfoord Castle Policies

Canmore ID 53331

Site Number NT36NE 11

NGR NT 38741 65609

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53331

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Cranston
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36NE 11 38741 65609 (NT 3874 6557 to NT 3875 6558)

(NT 3874 6557) Church (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1967)

For Oxenfoord Castle see, NT36NE 62.00 38816 65507.

Cranston parish church was built in 1788 on the site of the former church which was destroyed by fire. It was removed by the Earl of Stair about 1825, when the present church was erected nearby.

The original church was granted to Kelso by Hugh Riddell, the grant being confirmed by William the Lion (1165 x 78). It was later (1188 x 1200) given to St Andrews.

No trace of the church remains, but in the church-yard is a 12th c cross-slab (A Reid 1909), fractured, measuring 5'5" in length, 18" broad at the head, 10 1/2" at the foot and 9" thick. It is sculptured with a cross with two transverse limbs, semicircular in section and cable moulded. Reid also notes and illustrates a font, recovered from a midden; it measures 1'4" square by 1'2 1/2" high, with a basin 10 1/2" in diameter and 10" deep.

Name Book 1852; I B Cowan 1967; RCAHMS 1929

There are no remains of this church and no trace of the 12th c cross-slab. The font, which is as described, is at NT 3875 6558.

Visited by OS (BS) 23 October 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions