Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Borthwick Hall

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Borthwick Hall

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Canmore ID 53307

Site Number NT35SE 9

NGR NT 38745 52233

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53307

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Heriot
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT35SE 9.00 38745 52233.

Borthwick Hall was a small plain old building two storeys in height. A new mansion was erected at NT 3875 5223 beside it in 1853 and the older building pulled down. Originally it was called Halheriot.

Name Book 1853; J Small 1883

The site of 'Halheriot' could not be located. The name now applies to a modernised cottage at NT 3900 5257.

At NT 3878 5219 is a cylindrical ivy covered dovecot with a conical roof. It stands about 5 metres high x 13.0m in circumference and has one string course about 2.3m above ground level. The entrance, above the string course, is reached by three iron rungs. In the interior several wooden nests can be seen. This dovecot is probably contemporary with the mansion built in 1853.

Visited by OS (RD) 23 February 1970

Architecture Notes

NT35SE 9.00 38745 52233 Borthwick Hall

NT35SE 9.01 38779 52191 Dovecot

NT35SE 9.02 3891 5253 Lodge

NT35SE 9.03 3895 5253 Walled Garden

NT35SE 9.04 38627 52205 steading

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: John Henderson, 1853

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

Sbc Note

Borthwick Hall was a small plain old building two storeys in height. A new mansion was erected at NT 3875 5223 beside it in 1853 and the older building pulled down. Originally it was called Halheriot.

Name Book 1853; J Small 1883

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions