Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Glen

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name The Glen

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glen Estate; Glen House

Canmore ID 53192

Site Number NT23SE 5

NGR NT 29802 33044

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/53192

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Traquair
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Architecture Notes

NT23SE 5.00 29802 33044 Glen House

NT23SE 5.01 29981 33311 Estate School and School Master's House (The Old Schoolhouse)

NT23SE 5.02 29580 33057 Glen farm, Steading

NT23SE 5.03 29654 33020 Walled garden

NT23SE 5.04 29758 33026 Garden Features and Terraces to SW of house

NT23SE 5.05 29687 33134 Anvil Cottage

NT23SE 5.06 29654 33137 No 1 Sawmill Cottages

NT23SE 5.07 29657 32412 The Temple (Summerhouse)

NT23SE 5.08 29533 33011 Piggery

NT23SE 5.09 29756 33070 Swimming Pool

NT23SE 5.10 29651 33110 Bridge over Kill Burn

NT23SE 5.11 29821 33097 Bridge over Kill Burn (Entrance Bridge)

NT23SE 5.12 29802 33075 Courtyard Entrance

NT23SE 5.13 29620 32952 Factor's House

NT23SE 5.14 29680 33059 Garden Cottage

NT23SE 5.15 29579 33139 Old Walled Garden

NT23SE 5.16 29598 33040 Hall

NT23SE 5.17 29441 33066 House and Kennels

NT23SE 5.18 29775 33046 Lion Gateway

NT23SE 5.19 29810 33021 Garden Features and Terraces to SE of house

NT23SE 5.20 29828 33049 Garden Features and Terraces to NE of house

NT23SE 5.21 29612 32963 Octagonal Dairy

NT23SE 5.22 29649 33131 No 2 Sawmill Cottages

NT23SE 5.23 29633 33070 Silo View and Nursery Cottages

NT23SE 5.24 29783 33082 Stable Courtyard, Stable

NT23SE 5.25 29759 33086 Stable Courtyard, Coach House

NT23SE 5.26 29776 33091 Stable Courtyard, Stable

NT23SE 5.27 29646 33052 Walled Garden, Glasshouse Range

NT23SE 5.28 29644 33056 Walled Garden, Shed Range

NT33SW 18 30541 33581 Glen House, Lodge

NT33SW 58.00 30209 33585 Gamekeeper's Cottage

NT33SW 58.01 30197 33615 Kennels

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Lord Glenconner

Architects: William Playfair, 1821, additions to original farmhouse, demolished to make way for new house.

David Bryce, 1854/55, enlarged 1874

Sir Robert Lorimer, 1905-07, additions etc.

EXTERNAL REFERENCES

EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY LIBRARY

Playfair College, 38 sheets of classical additions to earlier house, dated 1821.

(Area centred NT 3032 3351) Very soon after passing through the lodge towards the mansion Mr Mathison pointed to a clump of trees as the site of the original residence known as 'The Glen' - a forest steading mentioned in history in 1216.

J Wilson 1894

The Nether Glen is to be seen between the Birks (NT 2950 3380) and the Fethan (NT 3083 3329).

A Pennecuik 1815

No further information.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 1 April 1962

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions