Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Deuchar, Old Bridge

Bridge (Post Medieval)

Site Name Deuchar, Old Bridge

Classification Bridge (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Yarrow Bridge; Auld Brig

Canmore ID 53063

Site Number NT32NE 4

NGR NT 36071 27948

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Yarrow
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT32NE 4 36071 27948.

(NT 36072794) Bridge (Remains of). (NAT)

OS 6" map (1900)

Old Bridge, Deuchar. Some 70 yds. E. of the inflow of the Deuchar Burn, the Yarrow has been spanned by a bridge of which only the northern arch, the central pier with its cutwater, and part of the southern abutment now remain. The southern arch has disappeared, together with the parapets and approaches. The bridge is 12 ft. 6 in. wide above the central pier, and the surviving arch has a span of 30 ft. The masonry is of rubble, and the structure shows extensive repairs - some of them in concrete.

A bridge of two arches already stood here in 1722, and as it bore the arms of the Duchess of Buccleuch, whose title dated from 1663, it may have been built before the end of the 17th century. This bridge was broken down by a flood in 1734, and appears to have been either repaired or replaced in 1748. It is impossible to say whether the existing structure is the one that was ruined in 1734 or a successor ruined in its turn at some later date.

RCAHMS 1957, visited 1952; W Macfarlane 1908; T Craig-Brown 1886

The remains of the bridge are as described by RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (EGC) 5 June 1962

Architecture Notes


S.M.T. Magazine 1933 - photograph


Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding structure, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions