Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Klibreck, Cross-slab

Cross Slab (Early Medieval), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Klibreck, Cross-slab

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Stewart's Park

Canmore ID 5301

Site Number NC53SE 4

NGR NC 5932 3401

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/5301

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Kilbreck, Sutherland, cross-incised standing stone

Measurements: H 1.17m, W 0.36m

Stone type:

Place of discovery: NC 5932 3401

Present location: in situ.

Evidence for discovery: noted by Horsburgh sometime before 1867, though he mentions only the one standing stone.

Present condition: good.

Description

This is one of a pair of standing stones. It is incised with an outline cross with a long shaft, expanded wedge-shaped arms and rounded armpits.

Date: eighth to tenth century.

References: Horsburgh 1868, 271.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016

Archaeology Notes

NC53SE 4 5932 3401

See also NC53SE 3 and NC53SE 5.

Sculptured Cross, Klibreck: About 1/2 mile SE of the farm buildings at Klibreck, on marshy ground S of the enclosure called "Stewart's Park", are two upright slabs of undressed schistose stone within 6ft or 7ft of each other. On the N face of the most southerly is a Celtic cross, long- shafted, with the arms expanding towards the ends, and the angles at the points of intersection rounded. The stone is 3ft 10ins high by 1ft 2ins broad. The total length of the cross exposed is 3ft 6ins, and the breadth along the arms, 11ins.

RCAHMS 1911; J Horsburgh 1870

This sculptured cross, fully described above, was located at NC 5932 3401. Between the sculptured cross and the other stone, some 2m to the N, is a slight trench 1.0m wide by 0.2m deep.

The large stone-walled enclosure centred on NC 5936 3415 was pointed out as "Stewart's Park" by the shepherd at Klibreck.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 6 May 1961

(NC 5932 3401) Standing Stones (NR) Incised Cross (NR)

OS 6" map (1963)

The standing stone and cross slab are as described by the previous authorities. Large stones cover an area 4.0m by 2.5m around the two stones. They have probably been strewn here relatively recently as one of the stones clearly exhibits a drill hole.

Visited by OS (JB) 30 June 1980.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions