Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Raith House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Raith House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Raith House Estate; Raith House Policies; Raith Park

Canmore ID 52933

Site Number NT29SE 4

NGR NT 25625 91768

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52933

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kirkcaldy And Dysart
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT29SE 4.00 25625 91768

(NT 2562 9176) Raith House (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1920)

NT29SE 4.01 NT 25518 91855 Home Farm, Stable Court

NT29SE 4.02 NT 25510 91794 Icehouse

NT29SE 4.03 NT 26378 91559 Burial-ground

NT29SE 4.04 NT 25447 91720 Laundry House

NT29SE 4.05 NT 26936 91599 Proposed Lodge

NT29SE 4.06 NT 27125 91382 Old Gate to Raith Walled Garden (2 Raith Gardens)

See also:

NT28NE 131 NT 25137 91189 Heather (North) Lodge

NT29SW 10.00 NT 24957 91880 Raith Tower (Cormie Hill)

NT29SE 62 NT 261 914 Cup and ring marked stone [built into old boundary wall]

NT29SE 438 NT 25574 92795 North Lodge Gates (Wester Bogie Road)

Raith House: This mansion was built by Alexander, Lord Raith (R Sibbald 1803) between 1692 and 1694, the work of that time being represented by the central portion of the present house, oblong on plan.

The old house has been altered, but the ground floor vaulting remains. The outside walls are harled but the dressings are left exposed.

R Sibbald 1803; RCAHMS 1933, visited 1925.

Raith House is as described. It is not of outstanding architectural importance.

Visited by OS (J P) 19 June 1974.

Architecture Notes

NT29SE 4.00 25625 91768

NT29SE 4.01 25518 91855 Stable Court

NT29SE 4.02 25510 91794 Icehouse

NT29SE 4.03 26378 91559 Burial Ground

NT29SE 4.04 25447 91720 Laundry House

NT29SE 4.05 26936 91599 Proposed Lodge

NT29SE 4.06 27125 91382 Old Gate to Walled Garden

NT29SE 78 27270 91199 Lodge and Gateway (now Electricity Substation)

NT29SW 10 24957 91880 Raith Tower (Folly)

NT29SW 79 23508 92126 Lambswell (Folly)

NT29SW 81 23512 92720 Bankhead of Raith Farmhouse

NT29SW 83 23571 91291 West Balbarton Farmhouse

Owner: A.B.L. Munro Ferguson of Raith and Novar

Architect: James Playfair - additions 1785 to house of 1694

Thomas White 1783 - improvements

REFERENCE

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Building of Raith House.

Account for plaster, wright (lime), and ironwork.

1696-98

GD 26/6/157

The Building of Raith House.

John Orrock's account books for disbursement of funds. Masons: John Anderson and Alexander Govinlock. Cost ?14,712.13.4.

1693-97

GD 25/6/152

James Playfair writes that he is busy for Mr Ferguson's new wing for Raith House. He is to have a library 35' x 22' x 18'.

1785

GD 151/11/32

SRO/RHP/44084 Photocopy of plan of improvements of Raith 1783 by Thomas White (with vignette of ruins).

(Undated) information in NMRS (Architecture Catalogue slip).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions