Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.


No Class (Roman)

Site Name Burntisland

Classification No Class (Roman)

Canmore ID 52856

Site Number NT28NW 76

NGR NT 22 85

NGR Description NT c. 22 85

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Burntisland
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT28NW 76 c. 22 85.

The Old Statistical Account states that the fort on Dunearn Hill (NT28NW 8) is called 'Agricola's camp, or garrison'. This then leads to the suggestion that 'some of the legions were garrisoned during the winter, near the coast'. This is continued by Chalmers Caledonia who suggests that the Roman fleet found a harbour at Burntisland whilst it explored the Forth.

OSA 1792; Chalmers 1887-94.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions