Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Port Hopetoun, Union Canal Basin

Canal Basin (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Port Hopetoun, Union Canal Basin

Classification Canal Basin (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Edinburgh And Glasgow Union Canal

Canmore ID 52712

Site Number NT27SW 83.01

NGR NT 24770 73112

NGR Description Centred NT 24770 73112

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52712

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 83.01 centred 2476 7311

This was the eastern terminus of the Union Canal (built 1818-22, designer Hugh Baird). It was a single large basin at the junction of Lothian Road and Fountainbridge; closed in 1922, it has been filled in and the site built over.

J Lindsay 1968; G Hutton 1993a.

This basin formed the terminal of the canal. A single, large basin, it handled the import of coal, grain and building materials into the city and the export of waste, as well as a throughput of passengers. It became extremely busy, which led to the creation of another basin nearby, Port Hamilton (NT27SW 83.05). There was a large warehouse (NT27SW 3130) built projecting into it.

G Hutton 1993.

This basin, named after the Earl of Hopetoun, from whose collieries Edinburgh obtained much of its coal, was infilled in 1922 and the cinema building situated at the corner of Morrison Street and Lothian Road stands on the site.

H Brown 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions