Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Lothian Road, Usher Hall

Concert Hall (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Lothian Road, Usher Hall

Classification Concert Hall (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Grindlay Street; Cambridge Street

Canmore ID 52696

Site Number NT27SW 69

NGR NT 24839 73368

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52696

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 69 24839 73368

See also:

NT27SW 1048 Edinburgh, Lothian Road, Board School

Built on site of Lothian Road Board School [NT27SW 1048].

ARCHITECT:

Stockdale Harrison, 1910

Sir J J Burnet - design for hall in Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh - not executed

John Kinross - design for Usher Hall & National Gallery

Crosland McClure - sculptures

NMRS Print Room

Inglis Photograph Collection Acc No 1994/90

Photographs - Concert hall, view towards the organ

Portrait bust of Andrew Usher

4 details of sculpted decoration.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (27 July 1999)

Two female figures above pillars flanking door. On the left is a crouching female nude figure with a dove, surrounded by drapery, on the right is a crouching female nude figure with a shell to her ear, surrounded by drapery. Both are semi-Caryatids

There is also a keystone lion mask

The figure on the left represents Music of the Woods, the figure on the right represents Music of the Sea.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1910 - 1914 (1)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0108)

Field Visit (27 July 1999)

At the top of the façade to the left of the entrance two partially draped male figures flank a cartouche containing the Royal Arms of Scotland (a shield carved with a lion rampant in the 1st and 4th quarters, three lions passant guardant in the 2nd quarter, and a harp in the 3rd quarter).

At the top of the façade to the right of the entrance two partially draped male figures flank a cartouche containing the arms of Edinburgh (a shield carved with a three-towered castle on a rock).

Above a semi-circular window above the entrance is a lion mask keystone.

The figures and coats of arms are by William Birnie Rhind, the lion mask keystone is by Waller Hubert Paton.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1910 - 1914 (1)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0109)

Field Visit (27 July 1999)

On the left is a crouching nude female figure, knees pointing away from doorway but head turned towards, surrounded by drapery. In her right hand she holds a lyre, her left hand rests on two books piled on top of each other.

On the right is a similar female figure in reverse, holding a model of Usher Hall.

In the centre is a lion mask keystone (by Paton).

The figure on the left represents the Soul of Music, the figure on the right represents Municipal Beneficence.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1910 - 1914 (1)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0110)

Field Visit (27 July 1999)

On the left is a seated semi-draped (over lower limbs) female figure, flanked by two piers, with a scroll diagonally across her lap.

On the right is a similar female figure with her left arm leaning on a harp (the harp frame has cherub face).

Above the door, on the left, is an oval medallion and laurel wreath with a 'symbolist' head above and instruments for measuring(?) below. Above the door, on the right, is a similar medallion with a 'singing' head above and a lyre below.

The figure on the left represents Musical Inspiration, the figure on the right represents Musical Achievement.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : To left of harp (incised letters): GAMLEY

Design period : 1910 - 1914 (1)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0111)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions