Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Redhall Castle

Armorial Panel (16th Century), Castle (Medieval), Dovecot (18th Century)

Site Name Redhall Castle

Classification Armorial Panel (16th Century), Castle (Medieval), Dovecot (18th Century)

Canmore ID 52570

Site Number NT27SW 10

NGR NT 2183 7021

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52570

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 10 2183 7021.

(NT 2183 7021) Redhall Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1973)

The hexagonal dovecot at Redhall was built in 1756 on the site of Redhall Castle.

A N Robertson 1945.

The dovecot is 250 yards NE of Redhall; the site of the castle is c. 100 yards NW of the mansion. The site has been excavated, but the only masonry visible is the footing of a semi-circular turret, 7'1" in diameter, with a wall 2'4" thick. A 16th century panel with the Otterburn arms, taken from the ruins of the castle, is built into the back of the dovecot. Sir Adam Otterburn of Redhall was King's Advocate 1524-38. The castle was taken by Cromwell on 24th August 1650, after two days' siege.

RCAHMS 1929; W S Douglas 1898.

No remains of this castle can now be seen; the turret footing mentioned by the RCAHMS is overgrown and is visible as an undulation in the ground 0.2m high.

Visited by OS (J F C) 23 December 1953.

The site of this castle is covered by long grass and nettles, and there are no remains to be seen.

Visited by OS (B S) 3 December 1975.

Activities

Field Visit (23 November 1926)

Redhall, Armorial Panel at, and Site of Castle.

Built into the back of the hexagonal dovecot standing 250 yards north-east of the mansion of Redhall is a fine 16th-century panel with Otterburn arms. The shield is charged with a chevron between 3 otters' heads couped and a crescent on the dexter chief. Below the chevron the field is represented as goutty. The supporters are two wyverns with knotted tails terminating in snake heads. The helm is wreathed, and crested an otter's head couped. On a label below is the motto DE VIRTVTE IN VIRTVTEM.

The panel was taken from the ruins of Redhall Castle (1), the site of which is about 100 yards north-west of the mansion. The site has been excavated, but the only masonry now visible is the footing of a small semicircular turret (2), 7 feet 1 inch in diameter, with a wall 2 feet4 inches thick.

HISTORICAL NOTE. Sir Adam Otterburn of Auldhame (East Lothian) and Redhall was King's Advocate 1524-38. On different occasions he was also Provost of Edinburgh, where his father had been a merchant burgess. Thomas Otterburn of ‘Reidhall’, in the county of Edinburgh, is on record in 1594 (2).

RCAHMS 1929, visited 23 November 1926.

(1) The Family of Inglis of Auchindinny and Redhall (privately printed), J.A. Inglis, pp.120-1; (2) Laing Charters, No. 1273.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions