Edinburgh, Sciennes, Dominican Convent
Chapel, Hospital, Nunnery
- Council Edinburgh, City Of
- Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District City Of Edinburgh
- Former County Midlothian
NT27SE 92 2603 7222.
(NT 2603 7222) Dominican Nunnery, Sciennes: The Convent of the Order of Friars Preachers, the only Dominican Nunnery in Scotland, was founded after Flodden by a group of kinswomen or widows of the men who had fallen at the battle. The buildings included the Chapel of St John the Baptist (founded in 1512 by Sir John Crawford, a canon of St Giles - before it was taken over by the Nunnery of St Catherine) and covered an area bounded by Sciennes Road on the N, Causewayside on the E, Grange Loan on the S, and extending west of the short street, now called St Catherine's Place. (A stone from the Convent is preserved in No/16) The buildings were damaged at the Reformation, and parts of the ruins were made to serve as a plague-hospital in 1645: but it was pulled down about 1760...(RCAHMS 1951).
This Nunnery stood a little to the S of the E end of The Meadows. A fragment of the wall still remains (c.1820)...(Stark 1820)
H Arnot 1874; J Stark 1820; Bartholomew 1919; RCAHMS 1951.
No trace of the Nunnery now remains; no further information obtained.
Visited by OS (J D) 8 January 1954.