Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, High Street, City Guard House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, High Street, City Guard House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Old Guard House; Town Guard House

Canmore ID 52557

Site Number NT27SE 9

NGR NT 2590 7364

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52557

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 9 2590 7364.

Town Guard House (NR) (Site of).

OS 1/1250 plan.

Black Turnpike: a mansion, also known as the "Auld Bishop of Dunkeld's Lodging"; was built in 1461 on the S side of High Street and a few feet W of the Tron Church. The Black Turnpike was demolished in 1788. Mary Queen of Scots and Darnley stayed here in 1566.

J Grant 1882.

(NT2590 7364) No trace remains of this building today.

Visited by OS (J D) 1953.

No reference was found to establish the fact that Black Turnpike was in fact the Town Guard House; the latter is not mentioned in any literary reference consulted, nor could any information be obtained upon it. The sites coincide, however, both in topographical position and dating.

Town Guard House (NR) (Site of)

OS 1:500 map, 1895.

The Town Guard House is shown on Edgar's map of 1742 (reduced facsimile in Grant 1882) in the centre of the High Street, a short distance W of the Tron Church. (For a description of the Town Guard, see Stark 1806)

D Wilson 1873; J Grant 1882.

No trace.

Visited by OS (JLD) 26 December 1953.

Architecture Notes

Demolished 1785.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions