Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, High Street, The Black Turnpike

House (16th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, High Street, The Black Turnpike

Classification House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Auld Bishop Of Dunkeld's Lodging; Mary Queen Of Scots' House

Canmore ID 52482

Site Number NT27SE 432

NGR NT 2591 7363

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52482

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 432 2590 7363

The Black Turnpike, also known as the 'Auld Bishop of Dunkeld's Ludging', was built in 1461 on the S side of High Street immediately W of where the Tron Kirk now stands. It was demolished in 1788 to make way for Hunter Square and Blair Street. An inscribed door-lintel which appears to have come from this house is preserved at Abbotsford.

J Grant 1882; D Wilson 1890; C B B Watson 1940; RCAHMS 1951.

No trace.

Visited by OS (JLD) 26 December 1953.

Architecture Notes

Town house of Sir Simon Preston in 1567. Then situated West of the Tron Church.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions