Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 143 Grange Loan, Astley Ainslie Hospital

Building (Period Unassigned), Carved Stone(S) (Period Unassigned), Font (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Well(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 143 Grange Loan, Astley Ainslie Hospital

Classification Building (Period Unassigned), Carved Stone(S) (Period Unassigned), Font (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Well(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52469

Site Number NT27SE 420

NGR NT 25 71

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52469

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 420 25 71

Many stones of ecclesiastical origin have been found in the grounds of the Astley Ainslie Hospital and in private gardens in the neighbourhood. A collection of these, some bearing initials and dates, was built into a specially constructed stone panel by Col. John Fraser, when Medical Superintendent, in the S boundary wall of his residence, South Bank. Also to be seen in the hospital grounds are a draw-well and a font or trough at the foot of the lawn of Morelands, a very old sunken well in what was the garden of Canaan Park, and just beyond the S boundary wall of South Bank, the remains of another old draw-well and those of an early building of some kind. To the W of the lean-to greenhouse in what was formerly the garden of Millbank villa, are, embedded in the ground, a row of four large cylindrical stones, bearing sculpted emblems of the Passion of Christ. Traditionally, these remains were believed to have been part of St Roque's Chapel (NT27SE 78), but modern opinion considers that they came from Trinity College Church (NT27SE 37). Another possibility is that they came from St Giles' (NT27SE 204).

RCAHMS 1951; C J Smith 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions