Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, West Bow

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, West Bow

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Tenement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52449

Site Number NT27SE 400

NGR NT 254 734

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52449

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 400 254 734

A 'temple chapel' existed in 1500 in the West Bow. MacGibbon and Ross plan and illustrate the 'Hall of the Knights of St John', a tenement between the West Bow and Lawnmarket. This, however, cannot be the chapel referred to as it is purely domestic and not of an earlier date than the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1951.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions