Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 36, 38, 40 Candlemaker Row, Candlemakers' Hall

Hall (Period Unassigned), Tenement(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 36, 38, 40 Candlemaker Row, Candlemakers' Hall

Classification Hall (Period Unassigned), Tenement(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52399

Site Number NT27SE 356

NGR NT 25677 73296

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52399

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 356 25677 73296

No. 36, built by James Watson in 1722, contains the former hall of the Incorporation of Candlemakers. Restored in 1929 by E J MacRae, together with the adjoining Nos. 40-42, originally two 17th-century tenements (Henry's Land and Binny of Nisbet's Land) bought by the Candlemakers in 1733-4 and altered by them soon after.

W F Gray 1930; RCAHMS 1951; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

Architecture Notes

Candlemaker Hall -fine four-storeyed block with two square stair towers projecting to the street. Over the door of one is a defaced panel containing a shield and the date 1722. This house was reconstructed by the City in 1929.

REFERENCE: CITY ARCHITECTS' PLAN STORE

Various plans.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (30 July 1999)

Badly eroded relief composed of a central light source (candle? Christ figure?) with horizontal radiating lines. Some suggestion of torso?, bulk below. Sign area at bottom surrounded by eight scrolls.

Inscriptions : On bottom frame (incised numbers): 1722

Painted below relief in gold letters on blue:

CANDLE[ ]

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1722 (1)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0112)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions