Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Holyrood Palace, James Iv's Tower

Coffin (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Tower (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Holyrood Palace, James Iv's Tower

Classification Coffin (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Tower (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Palace Of Holyrood; Palace Of Holyroodhouse

Canmore ID 52385

Site Number NT27SE 35.02

NGR NT 26876 73941

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52385

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 35.02 26876 73941

(NT 2688 7394) James V's Tower (NR).

OS 25"map, (1931).

James IV's Tower, the walls of which had been finished as early as 1505, (James IV; 1488-1513) can still be seen at the NW corner of Holyrood Palace, but the rest of the 16th century building excepting a fragment of the gatehouse has been swept away in the course of several reconstructions.

James IV did not have to see his work completed which was continued until 1530, and indeed Pitscottie attributes the whole of the work to James V (J Sinclair 1900) who, however, had only attained the age of 17 when it was stopped.

RCAHMS 1951.

James IV'S Tower. Built in 1498-1503. Altered and added to by James V.

Visited by OS (JLD) 29 December 1953.

No additional remarks to above.

Visited by OS (JLD) 31 December 1953.

Activities

Watching Brief (23 July 2007)

NT 268 739 An archaeological assessment was carried out on 23 July 2007 after the excavation of a small trench just to the W of the tower at the NW corner of Holyrood Abbey. The granite setts had been lifted to find and repair a burst water pipe. In the W-facing section of the trench a possible grave cut with what may have been the remains of a coffin was seen, but since no further excavation was undertaken it was not fully revealed.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS.

Funder: Historic Scotland.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions