Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Edinburgh, 83 - 85 Canongate

Public House (18th Century), Tenement (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 83 - 85 Canongate

Classification Public House (18th Century), Tenement (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Jenny Ha's Tavern; 67 Canongate

Canmore ID 52352

Site Number NT27SE 324

NGR NT 26601 73868

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 324 26599 73862

See also NT27SE 323 and 325.


Edinburgh, 83-91 Canongate and Campbell's Close which were Category A & B Listed buildings were demolished in 1960.

Information from NMRS Demolition catalogue.


Publication Account (1951)

97. 83-85 Canongate.

This tenement is of late 17th-century date. Oblong on plan, it presents towards the Canongate a gable which is five storeys and an attic in height; it also extends northwards into Campbell's Close, where a semi-octagonalstair-tower projects from its W. side and gives access to its upper floors. The masonry is rubble, harled on the front. The windows have back-set margins which, where unaltered, have chamfered arisses. The gable-skews are moulded and end in scrolled skew-puts, and the N. gable has been reconstructed. The stair entrance is back-set and rounded. The ground floor of the front building is now a public-house. An original fireplace survives on the first floor and another on the second; the former is flanked by Ionic pilasters-all that remains of the scheme of panelling with which the walls were covered-and has a carved, fretted frieze of unusual type.


Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association ( set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (24 September 1999)

Coat of arms on plaque: a shield decorated with three stars in a line above three swans. Surmounted by a closed helmet and foliage, then a hand holding a golf club. Cartouche below, ribbon above; both inscribed.

Shop sign: within an open brown wood frame is a depiction of Jenny Ha leaning forward with a mug of ale in her left hand. She wears a red and green mob-cap and a blue dress.

The plaque containing the coat of arms is a copy of a stone carving built into Golfer's Land, a tenement built on this side of the Canongate in the 17th century by Bailie John Paterson, supposedly with his stake in a golf match (partnering the Duke of York, future James VII).

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : On ribbon above coat of arms (raised letters): FAR AND SURE

Below, in cartouche (incised letters): I HATE NO PERSON

On shop sign (black incised letters above head, on frame): Jenny Ha's.

Below figure, on frame: Est. 1749

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0533)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions