Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 156 High Street, Burnet's Close, General

General View

Site Name Edinburgh, 156 High Street, Burnet's Close, General

Classification General View

Alternative Name(s) Cowgate; Johnston's Close; Mories Or Morice Close

Canmore ID 52340

Site Number NT27SE 313

NGR NT 25848 73606

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52340

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 313 25851 73609

For 156 - 158 High Street, the building once attatched to this record, see NT27SE 5349

Architecture Notes

Burnet's Close was named for Samuel Burnet, brewer, who had a tenement in the High Street at the head of the close and was one of nineteen burgesses who set up The Society in 1598. The close was also Johnston's Close, for James Johnston, deacon of the Hammermen in 1537 and named in 1564 as having property here. It was also Mories or Morice Close, for Peter Mories or Morice, recorded in "Protocols of William Forbes" in 1746 as a later owner of Johnston's property. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 135-6)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions