Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 205 And 207 High Street

Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 205 And 207 High Street

Classification Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Fleshmarket Close; Jackson's Closes; Market Close

Canmore ID 52315

Site Number NT27SE 291

NGR NT 25871 73655

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52315

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 291 25871 73655

The tenement standing at the corner of Cockburn Street, above the entry to Fleshmarket Close, may be dated to about 1700. Towards the street is a main block to which are attached two wings, the one on the W side of the close being a stair wing and the one on the E being habitable. In all the building has six storeys and an attic. The ground floor contains modern shops on either side of the Close entry, and above there seem originally to have been three flats upon each floor. The rubble front has recently been plastered. From the stair wing a contemporary tenement of three storey runs northwards to join the modern buildings in Cockburn Street. The two lower storeys of this are used for storage, while the top floor is still inhabited.

RCAHMS 1951.

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE;

Sources: Dean of Guild 9.12.1813

Pet. Andrew Mein and John Keddie, candlemakers

Nos 205 and 207 High Street - Head of Market Close

To be joined and modifications made to shop fronts.

Elevation, unsigned.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions