Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Canongate, St John's Cross

Boundary Marker (Period Unassigned), Cross (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Canongate, St John's Cross

Classification Boundary Marker (Period Unassigned), Cross (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Laplie's Stone; St John's Stane; Lappet Stane

Canmore ID 52301

Site Number NT27SE 28

NGR NT 26288 73733

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52301

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 28 2629 7373.

(NT 2629 7373) St John's Cross (NR) (Site of)

OS 25"map, (1968)

This is the site of an ancient cross, which marked a point on the W boundary of Canongate parish. It was removed long ago, a circle of stones intersected by a cross, on the pavement marking its site.

Name Book 1852; RCAHMS 1951.

Architecture Notes

See NMRS Historical File, under The Canongate - St. John's Cross. Entry consists of one page of information with a pen, ink and watercolour representation of the pattern of bricks in the road that shows where the Cross stood.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions