Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, High Street, 3 Advocate's Close, Adam Bothwell's House

House (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, High Street, 3 Advocate's Close, Adam Bothwell's House

Classification House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Byer's Close

Canmore ID 52298

Site Number NT27SE 277

NGR NT 25686 73632

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 277 25686 73632

On E side of Byer's Close. 17th century. Narrow 3-storey and attic block with 3-sided gable facing N known as Adam Bothwell's House, rubble-built, sculptured dormer heads; SE building remodelled 18th century.

HBD No. 1336.

Architecture Notes

Byre's Close (Byer's Close) (see NT 27SE 276) was named for John Byres, merchant burgess (1569-1629). Adam Bothwell, Bishop of Orkney (d.1593) also had his house here, still noted for its half-octagon gable and curious "bee holes" on its East front. "Protocols of John Foular" record two earlier names for the close: in 1525 it is noted as Malcolm's Close, for a family of that name, owners of a land on its East side; and in 1534 it is given as William Lauder's Close, evidently named for William Lauder, bailie in 1528, or quite possibly for his namesake, a bailie in 1453. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 139).

DESCRIPTION: Adam Bothwell's House, Byer's Close-A tall narrow house with a three-sided apse facing North. So called because Sir John Byers of Coates had his town house in it.


Standing Building Recording (21 February 2014)

NT 25683 73639 An historic building survey was undertaken, on 21 February 2014, of Adam Bothwell House, which is a Category A listed building located at 3 Advocates Close. This small building is a four-storey six- by three-bay building reported to have been originally constructed in the early 17th century. However, it was heavily renovated in c2000 and very

little of the original character of the building remains. Indeed, the only interesting features left in the building consist of the vaulted roof in the attic level and some decorative cornicing over the central stairwell. The latter is unlikely to be 17th century in date and may possibly be a late 1980s copy of an early cornice.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: The Chris Stewart Group

Diana Sproat - AOC Archaeology Group

(Source: DES)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions