Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 304 Lawnmarket

Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 304 Lawnmarket

Classification Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 300 - 302 Lawnmarket; Buchanan's Close; Brodie's Close

Canmore ID 52287

Site Number NT27SE 267

NGR NT 25589 73549

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52287

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 267 25581 73548

Seventeenth century in present form. East section 4-storey attic and garret, harled rubble, upper part timber framed. West section 4-storey attic and garret (continuous pantiled roof) ashlar, pend arch, two 2-window dormer gablets with crowstepped turnpike tower between. Wing on W side. Wing between Brodie's and Fisher's Close contains Roman Eagle Hall with fine plaster ceiling (1646). Corbelled stair turret to Fisher's Close. Restored.

RCAHMS 1951.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (2007 - February 2008)

AOC Arcchaeology was commissioned to undertake a Level 4 Historic Building Survey and an archaeological watching brief at 302-304 Lawnmarket, Edinburgh prior to the re-development of the site as part of a watching brief on the soft strip and removal of the 1960s block and all ground-breaking development works.

The site formally consisted of two seperate buildings of 17th century origins developing into a single property with turnpike staircase and two ground floor shop frontages. The easternmost half of the building had a timber facade facing onto the Lawnmarket with a painted and plastered external panel. Two painted ceilings are also present on the second and fourth floors, although they appear to have been repositioned from eldewhere in the building. At the same time as the historic building recording, a programme of conservation was undertaken on the two ceilings which have been restored and maintained as part of the new building.

The site is a rare surviving example of a timber-framed facade and painted ceilings on the Royal Mile and has a good level of preservation.

No further historic building recording is recommended. However, a Publication Research Design has been requested by the City of Edinburgh Council Archaeology Service (CECAS) in order to fully complete the required work to discharge the planning condition. The Reseaerch Design, once approved by CECAS, will form the basis of two publications on the historic building revording and the conservation of the painted ceilings.

Information from AOC Archaeology Group

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions