Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 451 Lawnmarket, Wardrop's Court, Blackie House

Hall Of Residence (Modern), Tenement (17th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 451 Lawnmarket, Wardrop's Court, Blackie House

Classification Hall Of Residence (Modern), Tenement (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) 2, 3, 4, 5 And 6 North Bank Street

Canmore ID 52284

Site Number NT27SE 264

NGR NT 25575 73629

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52284

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 264 25575 73629

A late 17th century tenement, reconstructed for Patrick Geddes in 1894 as a university hall in memory of Prof J S Blackie; turned back into flats in 1950 by Robert Hurd.

RCAHMS 1951; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

Architecture Notes

RCAHMS REFERENCE:

NMRS RIAS COLLECTION

Hurd Rolland Collection 24 drawings, 1947 -50

Bag 157 57/2

See also EDINBURGH, North Bank Street, General for views, etc of North Bank Street elevation (Nos 2-6).

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (21 August 2002)

Two smiling (?) dragon brackets, painted green and gold, embellish the entrance to Wardrop's Court. The dragons are vertical, facing inwards, their tails curling up and inwards.

Arthur Geddes, the son of Patrick Geddes, carved the dragons. (1)

Inspected By : D. King

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : Early 20th century (?)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0844)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions