Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 533 Castlehill, Palace And Chapel Of Mary Of Guise

Chapel (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 533 Castlehill, Palace And Chapel Of Mary Of Guise

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52222

Site Number NT27SE 2

NGR NT 2547 7357

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52222

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 2 2547 7357.

Palace and Chapel of Mary-de-Guise. Queen Regent (NR) (16 Century) (Site of)

OS 1/500 plan (1895); OS 1/1250 plan.

Palace of Mary of Guise: A house traditionally associated with the Queen Regent. It was demolished in 1861 to make way for the Free-Church General Assembly Hall. Some of its doors, and portions of painted ceiling preserved in the National Museum.

RCAHMS 1951.

(NT 2547 7357) No further information obtained regarding this building.

Visited by OS (J D) 25 December 1953.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Site of Palace and Chapel of Mary of Guise, Queen Regent. Originally on the West side of Blythe's Close, but demolished in 1845-46 to provide a site for the Assembly Hall and New College.

Edinburgh, 533 Lawnmarket, Mary of Guise House was demolished c.1883.

(Undated) information from NMRS Demolitions catalogue.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions