Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Loaning Road, Craigentinny House

Lairds House (16th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Loaning Road, Craigentinny House

Classification Lairds House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 52160

Site Number NT27SE 143

NGR NT 28516 74711

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52160

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 143.00 28516 74711

NT27SE 143.01 28553 74602 Walled Garden and Garden Houses

Late 16th century, but much altered. 1849-50.

Situated near the old village of Restalrig, Craigentinny House (sic) was originally a typical laird's house of the late 16th century; parts of it were altered early in the 19th century. The gabled roof of the wing was altered, the stair-turret heightened, and the former windows refashioned. The "castellations" at the E gable are also modern. The rubble-built walls rise to three storeys and an attic. The N face has not been much altered. The roof is drained by large cannon-like spouts, after the fashion of the old square keeps, but this may not be original. There is now no vaulting internally where there has been much alteration.

RCAHMS 1951; N Tranter 1962-70.

Architect: David Rhind.

NMRS REFERENCE:

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection, Acc no 1997/39

Detail looking up to the roofline.

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE:

Proposed demolition. Cutting from Scotsman 1937. Report on sale to Edinburgh Corporation 1936-38. Damage by enemy action. Correspondence 1942.

1937-42 GD 1/689/2

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions