Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Cowgate, Cowgate Port

Gateway (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Cowgate, Cowgate Port

Classification Gateway (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52152

Site Number NT27SE 14.05

NGR NT 2619 7354

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52152

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 14.5 2619 7354

Blackfriars or Cowgate Port, associated with the Flodden Wall, was erected in 1516 at the junction of Cowgate and St Mary's Wynd. It was demolished in 1715.

J Grant 1882; D Wilson 1891; RCAHMS 1951; A S Simpson, S Stevenson and

N Holmes 1981.

No trace.

Visited by OS (JLD) 25 December 1953.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions