Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith Wynd, Orphans' Hospital

Hospital (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith Wynd, Orphans' Hospital

Classification Hospital (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dean Hospital; John Watson's Institution

Canmore ID 52142

Site Number NT27SE 137

NGR NT 2596 7396

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52142

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 137 259 739.

(Name: NT 2590 0394) Site of (NAT) Orphan Hospital (NR)

OS 1/1056 plan, (1854)

The Orphan Hospital, now known as the Dean Hospital was founded in 1733 by public subscription. It first occupied a rented building in Bailie Fyfe's Close, but in 1734-6, a building was erected on a piece of ground called "Dingwall" on the site indicated above. (See NT27SE 66) This was removed when the railway was being built.

J Ricardson 1949.

Architecture Notes

The foundation was laid in 1743 on its site near the Western end of the Trinity College Church. Removed in 1845 because of the operations of the Railway together with the clock of the Netherbow Port which on the demolition of the Port in 1764 had been placed in the Orphans' Hospital. The new Hospital was erected "at the Dean", the clock being now in the pediment between the towers.

REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Orphan House and Work House. Description of the work so far accomplished. Feued a piece of ground at the back of the College Church. Subscriptions to be sent to Andrew Gairdner, merchant in Edinburgh, Treasurer.

1740 GD95/Vol 10/150

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1812. January-June 30.4.1812.

Pet. The managers of the Orphan Hospital, Edinburgh.

"....entered into a contract with Mr Alexander Fowler, Mason and Builder...for errecting....? (annex) according to a plan and elevation prepared by Mr Robert Reid, Architect...."

Plan and elevation enclosed. Signed "Wllm McLean".

Robert Reid.

Edinburgh. Orphan Hospital. Additional Buildings advertisement for tenders, 1812.

(Edinburgh Evening Courant, Jan 9, 1812).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions