Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Restalrig, Deanery Wall

Village (Period Unassigned), Wall (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Restalrig, Deanery Wall

Classification Village (Period Unassigned), Wall (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Restalrig Priory Wall

Canmore ID 52106

Site Number NT27SE 104

NGR NT 2836 7451

NGR Description NT 2836 7451 to NT 2835 7447

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52106

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 104 2836 7451 to 2835 7447.

(Centred NT 2835 7447) The ancient village of Restalrig, named after the family of De Lestalric, lies E of the Old Town of Edinburgh and has been engulfed by the modern city. Of the village, only one cottage, dated 1678 on a lintel, survives without material alteration. A fragment of the outer wall of the 16th century Deanery of Restalrig also survives. RCAHMS 1951.

No traces of the village, other than the remains noted above, exist. The 17th century cottage is at NT 2837 7446 and a featureless fragment of Deanery wall is at NT 2836 7451. Area of village approximately defined from OS 6"map, Edinburghshire, 1st ed., 1852.

Visited by OS (J L D) 4 December 1953.

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (S F S) 27 December 1975.

NT 2835 7450 Seven trial trenches were excavated within the site of the late medieval Deanery of Restalrig. Any deposits and structures were found to have been removed by construction/ demolition of 19th/20th-century structures and site levelling. One pit containing 19th-century demolition rubble also contained some fragments of human bone, probably derived from the kirkyard of St Margaret's Kirk, which lies directly opposite the site. A detailed survey of the upstanding wall, along Restalrig Road South (reputedly the Deanery boundary wall) was carried out as part of the work.

Sponsor: Mitie Group.

D Henderson 1996

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions