Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Liberton, Our Lady's Well

Chapel (Period Unassigned), Holy Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Liberton, Our Lady's Well

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned), Holy Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 52100

Site Number NT27SE 100

NGR NT 2640 7008

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52100

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 100 2640 7008.

(NT 2640 7008) Our Lady's Well (NAT) (Covered)

OS 6"map, Edinburghshire, 1st ed., (1855)

There seems to have been a chapel, of which some mention is made in old charters, near Liberton Tower (NT26NE 7). Its site cannot be located.

It may have been near Our Lady's Well (which is listed as a holy well by Walker) (Good 1893) The ONB (1852) notes that the well, well known in 1852, and described as a natural spring in Fullerton's Gazetteer, was covered over during improvements about 1800, the water from it running in a covered drain down to the Braid Burn. It adds that the name of the well is supposed to derive from that of a chapel in the vicinity, all trace of which had disappeared long before 1852.

T Whyte 1792; Fullarton 1842; Name Book 1852; J R Walker 1883; G Good 1893.

No trace was found of either well or chapel.

Visited by OS (S F S) 4 December 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions