Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 336 West Granton Road, Granton Gasworks

Gas Works (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 336 West Granton Road, Granton Gasworks

Classification Gas Works (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Pilton; 4 Marine Drive; 11 West Shore Road

Canmore ID 52043

Site Number NT27NW 20

NGR NT 22350 76800

NGR Description Centred NT 22350 76800

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52043

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

Location formerly cited as centred NT 22437 77079.

NT27NW 20.01 NT 22612 76990 Fitting Shop

NT27NW 20.02 NT 22336 76753 Control House

NT27NW 20.03 NT 22428 76839 Store Block

NT27NW 20.04 NT 22638 76845 Railway Station

NT27NW 20.05 NT 22437 77079 Gate Lodge

NT27NW 20.06 NT 22441 77091 No. 1 Gasholder

Gas Works [NAT] (at NT 2213 7688)

Gasholders [NAT] (at NT 2252 7706)

Gasholders [NAT] (at NT 2201 7698)

OS 1:10,000 map, 1987.

RCAHMS REFERENCE

76 photograph albums containing progress photographs of every aspect of architectural and technical construction undertaken by the Company at Granton including the opening ceremony etc 1899-1931.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

NT 2231 7696 Prior to the redevelopment of Granton Gasworks (NMRS NT27NW 20) a programme of standing building recording and historical research was carried out in May, June and August 2001.

A standing building survey and analysis was carried out at three of the remaining early 20th-century buildings: the coal store block erected between 1898 and 1903; the workshops building erected between 1903 and 1910; and the TRANSCO control house building erected in the 1930s. A section of the stone boundary wall to the NE was also recorded.

The buildings were once part of a large complex of industrial buildings constructed in the early 20th century and designed by Walter Ralph Herring for the Edinburgh & Leith Gas Commissioners' Company. Many of Herring's original buildings on the 106? acre site have already been demolished, hence the programme of building recording aims to be a 'preservation by record' of an incomplete heritage.

Sponsor: Lattice Properties.

D Sproat 2001

NT 2231 7696 Prior to residential redevelopment, linear evaluation trenching in July and August 2002 on two areas within the site of the former Granton Gasworks failed to uncover significant archaeological features or artefacts.

A programme of standing building recording was required as a condition of planning consent on two buildings to the N of the site: the Pump House and Meter House. The two buildings were part of the first major construction of works which began in 1899 and were of a balanced Edwardian design in a red terracotta brick and steel-framed construction. The programme of building recording produced elevation drawings and a written and photographic record prior to their demolition. Access to the interior of these buildings was denied for health and safety reasons. (AOC 3479, AOC 3518)

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: Lattice Property Holdings.

Martin Cook and D Sproat (AOC) 2002.

Activities

Construction (1898 - 1910)

Designed and managed by WR Herring.

Photographic Survey

Photographs taken during the construction of Granton Gasworks showing every technical and architectural aspect of the building. HES holds 76 albums and a set of glass negatives.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions