Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Newhaven Harbour, Eastern Lighthouse

Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Newhaven Harbour, Eastern Lighthouse

Classification Beacon (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Old Lighthouse, Leith Docks, Newhaven Harbour; Newhaven 1

Canmore ID 52003

Site Number NT27NE 76.03

NGR NT 25481 77241

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52003

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 76.03 25481 77241

See also NT27NE 76.00 and NT27NE 76.05 .

Old Light House [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, July 2006.

Newhaven Harbour is a small harbour used mainly by pleasure craft. The harbour and breakwaters are well maintained, both lighthouses are upstanding and in good condition. The fishmarket is now split into two buildings, the southern half is now a Harry Ramsdens fish restaurant. The northern half appeared to be empty but may be used as a store.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 23rd February 1996.

(Newhaven 1: location cited as NT 254 773). At former end of E pier: Grainger & Miller, prob. 1837. Short circular-section stone tower with moulded cornice and blocking course. Now topped by cement-rendered dome.

J R Hume 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions