Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith, Old Bridge Of Leith

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, Old Bridge Of Leith

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Water Of Leith; Old Leith Bridge

Canmore ID 51993

Site Number NT27NE 7

NGR NT 2684 7644

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51993

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 7 2684 7644

(NT 2684 7644) Site of Old Bridge (NR) (1493)

OS 6" map, Edinburghshire, 1st ed., (1852)

Edinburgh, Leith Old Bridge.

'Etching by John Clerk' - 1 lithograph.

Location uncertain at time of upgrade 21.12.1999.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

This three-arched bridge was apparently built in 1493 by Robert Ballantyne, Abbot of Holyrood, the tolls levied being used for religious and charitable purposes. Part of its piers were still extant in 1892.

Name Book 1852; J C Irons 1901.

No trace.

Visited by OS (J L D) 27 November 1953.

NT 2683 7647 Recording of standing buildings and exploratory excavations in the surrounding yards were carried out at the site of St Ninian's Chapel (later church and manse) (NT27NE 8) and the N end of the 1430s 'Old Bridge of Leith'.

The N pier and alignment of the bridge was found.

Sponsor: City of Edinburgh Council.

D Henderson 1999.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions