Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, South Leith Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, South Leith Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Leith Station

Canmore ID 51992

Site Number NT27NE 67

NGR NT 2737 7656

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51992

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 67 2737 7656

This terminal station of the Leith branch of the (former) North British Rly was opened as Leith station by the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Rly in July 1832 but closed in 1846. It was reopened and renamed South Leith by the North British Rly on 1 October 1859, but closed to regular traffic on 1 July 1903, presumably on account of its being replaced by Leith Central station (NT27NE 68).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 February 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions