Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith Docks, New Entrance Lock

Lock (Post Medieval)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith Docks, New Entrance Lock

Classification Lock (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Firth Of Forth; Outer Forth Estuary

Canmore ID 51978

Site Number NT27NE 57.03

NGR NT 26501 77830

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51978

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 57.03 26501 77830

Lock [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1971.

Location formerly entered as NT 264 779 to NT 265 777.

For (adjacent to NE) port entrance control building and signal tower (the 'pagoda'), see NT27NE 57.44.

1960's construction; control building ('pagoda') adjacent.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

This entrance lock was built as part of the late 1960's reconstruction of Leith Docks, and incorporates three transverse sliding caisson gates. The port entrance control building and signal tower (the 'pagoda': NT27NE 57.44) stands alongside.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 13 June 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions