Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, Coatfield Lane, Balmerino House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Coatfield Lane, Balmerino House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lord Balmerino's House; Leith

Canmore ID 51948

Site Number NT27NE 32

NGR NT 2707 7622

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51948

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NE 32 2707 7622.

(NT 2707 7622) School (Roman Catholic) formerly Lord Balmerino's House (NR)

OS 6"map, Edinburghshire, 1st ed., (1853)

Balmerino House was built in 1631 by John Stewart, Earl of Carrick, it was sold in 1643 to John, Lord Balmerino, in whose family it remained until 1746. Subsequently, it passed through various hands, and was converted into a school in 1848.

As it stood in 1951, it comprised a large oblong block containing a sunk floor and two upper storeys; having been cemented externally, it was featureless. The wing which contained the original entrance has been removed.

Name Book 1852; J Grant 1901; RCAHMS 1951.

This building has been demolished to make way for modern housing development.

Visited by OS (B S) 27 November 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions