Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Logan House

Bastle(S) (Medieval)(Possible), Tower(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Logan House

Classification Bastle(S) (Medieval)(Possible), Tower(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Logan Castle

Canmore ID 51904

Site Number NT26SW 5

NGR NT 2037 6300

NGR Description NT 2037 6300 and NT 2038 6300

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51904

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Penicuik (Midlothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26SW 5 2037 6300 to 2038 6300.

(NT 2037 6300) Logan House (NR) (Remains of).

OS 6" map (1957)

There were two towers at Logan House. One, published by the OS, and dated variously to c.1230 and the 16th century, measured 20ft x 17ft within walls 3 to 4ft thick or 24 1/2ft x 23 1/3ft over walls 4ft thick, and still stood in 1915, 20ft high. It was built of rubble stone.

The other, early 15th century, at NT 2038 6300, was built of sandstone, faced inside and out with polished ashlar, with a steeply sloped base, and measured 18ft x 13ft within walls 8ft thick. There was an ashlar lined well in the NE corner. This tower was demolished in 1878 (J Wilson 1891).

The lands of Logan House are recorded in 1410 and a tower is specifically mentioned in 1542.

A Kerr 1879; RCAHMS 1929, visited 1915

All that possibly remains of the two towers at Logan House is a fragment of mortared walling 3.7m long x 0.9m wide x 0.2m high at NT 2038 6300. The remainder has been destroyed by a modern access road.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 3 February 1970

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (BS) 9 December 1975

Activities

Photographic Survey (November 1963)

Photographic survey of the exterior of the remains of Logan House, Midlothian, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in November 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions