Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 19 Winton Loan, Morton House

Country House (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 19 Winton Loan, Morton House

Classification Country House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 51716

Site Number NT26NE 45

NGR NT 25438 67768

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

(NT 2543 6777) Morton House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1958)

Morton House, the dower-house of the Mortonhall estate belongs to two periods. The E portion was built or rebuilt in 1709 (carved on a dormer) and seems to be based on the remains of an older building. At the SE corner is a plain tabular sundial dated 1713. A new entrance-front, typically late Georgian in appearance, was added at the beginning of the 19th century. The W gateway is flanked by a pair of square pavilions, contemporary with the E part of the house. The one to the N is a dovecot.

RCAHMS 1951; A N Robertson 1945

Generally as described above. The N pavilion has an ogee roof. It housed a carriage on its ground floor with a dovecot above.

Visited by OS (RD) 6 January 1970

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (SFS) 22 October 1975

Architecture Notes

NT26NE 45.00 25438 67768

NT26NE 45.01 25390 67773 Pavilions, Entrance Gateway and Boundary Wall

NT26NE 45.02 25505 67628 Belvedere

NT26NE 45.03 25445 67784 Garage, Walled Courtyard and Well

Owner: W A Elliot


Plans: Schomberg Scott

Re-roofing South pavillion at entrance and scheme for gate piers and wrought iron railings.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions