Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Gilmerton, Gilmerton House

House (Period Unassigned), Wall(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Gilmerton, Gilmerton House

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Wall(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Gilmerton House Place; Gilmour House

Canmore ID 51704

Site Number NT26NE 34

NGR NT 29035 68109

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51704

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT26NE 34.00 29035 68109

NT26NE 34.01 29103 68199 Gazebo

The lands of Gilmerton (NT 29 68) were leased to families known as 'King's Tenants' by David I. In 1547 Gilmerton House was destroyed by the English, and it is now very ruinous. Whyte states that the mansion of Gilmerton House occupies an excellent site with view in all directions. The "Long Walk" on the S side of the house, has at its E end an arch with a balcony. (This suggests an arear to S of Gilmerton village on the 450ft contour spur. Charters and records from 1165 to 1667 refer to Gilmerton (lands if not registered). It was in the possession of a David Crighton in 1622, and was purchased by Sir John Baird of Newbyth about 1667.

J C Carrick 1904; T Whyte 1792

There is no trace of this house.

Visited by OS (SFS) 23 October 1975

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Demolished 1950's

Activities

Watching Brief (28 August 2007 - 12 October 2007)

NT 2903 6810 An archaeological watching brief was required on land due to be landscaped at 89 Ravenscroft Street, Gilmerton, to record upstanding walls that appear on Roy's map of 1745 - 55. In addition all ground-breaking works were monitored for significant archaeological remains. During the watching brief it was possible to phase the development of the different upstanding walls on the site and in addition two further

buried walls were recorded during ground breaking works. This work was undertaken between 28 August-12 October 2007.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS.

Funder: Head Andrew Landscaping Ltd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions