Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Brunston Castle

Castle (Medieval), Fishpond (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Brunston Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Fishpond (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Brunstane; Brunstain; Brunstone

Canmore ID 51646

Site Number NT25NW 4

NGR NT 20160 58215

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51646

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Penicuik (Midlothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT25NW 4.00 20160 58215

NT25NW 4.01 NT 2023 5850 Fish Ponds

NT25NW 4.02 NT 201 582 Garden

Not to be confused with Edinburgh, Brunstane House (NT 3176 7240), for which see NT37SW 80.00.

(NT 2015 5822) Brunston Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

Brunstane (SDD List 1964) Brunston (RCAHMS 1929, visited 1920) Castle, now very dilapidated, was built on a courtyard plan in the 16th century.

It comprises an oblong enclosure, 86' NW - SE by 64 1/2', with a dwelling-house on the SE side and a projecting square tower at the N angle. Both were originally of two storeys and a garret. The date 1568 is cut above the lintel over the entrance to the house.

Wilson notes that the castle was still surrounded by a deep ditch at the beginning of the 19th century, while Bell records that the castle was burnt to the ground by the English under Lord Grey (in 1547), and rebuilt in 1568.

A succession of Crichtons lived at "Burnstoun" from 1498 to 1542.

J J Wilson 1891; J Bell 1893

The remains of Brunston Castle are as described by previous authority.

Visited by OS (BS) 4 November 1975.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions