Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Peebles, Edinburgh Road, Venlaw Castle Hotel

Hospital (First World War), Hotel (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Peebles, Edinburgh Road, Venlaw Castle Hotel

Classification Hospital (First World War), Hotel (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Smithfield Castle; Venlaw House; Castle Venlaw; Venlaw Auxiliary Hospital

Canmore ID 51454

Site Number NT24SE 19

NGR NT 25287 41236

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Peebles
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT24SE 19.00 25287 41236

NT24SE 19.01 25251 40945 South Lodge

NT24SE 19.02 25066 41637 North Lodge

(NT 2528 4123) Venlaw Castle Hotel (NAT) on site of (NAT) Smithfield Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1964)

There are now no remains of Smithfield Castle, the tower which was the residence of the Hays of Smithfield in the 16th and 17th centuries. About 1782, a mansion was erected on the site of the old tower, the property then being re-named Venlaw.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1959

On the E front of Venlaw Castle Hotel is an inscription: "This portion of the house was built on the site of Smethfield (sic) Castle AD 1782". No trace of the Castle exists.

Visited by OS (EGC) 8 March 1962

Architecture Notes



Mr Stevenson has lately built a house very high upon the bank overlooking the town of Peebles."

Sir John Clerk's description of a journey to Peebles.

1780 GD 18/2119


Photographic Survey (3 May 2007)

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to demolition of service wing and alterations and extensions to the hotel.


Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

Sbc Note (21 March 2016)

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

Previously also listed under duplicate site NT96SW 510 -CANCELLED. HES (LCK) 11.6.2024


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions