Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Horsburgh Castle

Tower (Medieval)

Site Name Horsburgh Castle

Classification Tower (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Horsbrugh Castle

Canmore ID 51274

Site Number NT23NE 6

NGR NT 2851 3916

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51274

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Innerleithen
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT23NE 6 2851 3916

(NT 2852 3917) Horsburgh Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1909)

Horsbrugh Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 25" map (1965)

See also NT23NE 29.

Horsburgh Castle. The shell of a small L-shaped tower of the 16th century is situated on a prominent mound on the left bank of the Tweed. Its main block measures 31' 2" N-S by 33' E-W overall, while the wing, which contained a turnpike stair, extends 8'4" to the N in alignment with the E wall. When entire, this wing measured 14'3" in width E-W. The whole of the E side of the building has disappeared, together with the E end of the S wall. The surviving walls, still c.22' high, are of whinstone rubble and were once harled. They have been partially rebuilt for preservation within the past century or so, and now show few features of interest. An original slit-window remains in the lower part of the W wall.

It was built by the Horsburghs of that Ilk, who possessed the property from at least 1479 until the beginning of the 20th century. (See also NT23NE 29).

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958

As described by RCAHM. The name is undoubtedly HORSBRUGH CASTLE confirmed by spelling of local farm name etc, also plaque on wall of ruins of castle stating; A memorial to RT HON BARONESS HORSBRUGH of HORSBRUGH 1889-1969.

Visited by OS (RD), 7 June 1971.

Activities

Photographic Record (1896)

Photograph album with views from the Scottish Borders in 1896 including Peebles

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

Sbc Note

This was a small l-shaped tower, with a main block and wing containing a turn-pike stair. The surviving wall is made of harled whinstone rubble.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions