Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lumphinnans, Iron Works

Brickworks (19th Century), Clay Workings (19th Century), Colliery (19th Century), Iron Works (19th Century), Ironstone Mine (19th Century), Tramway (19th Century)

Site Name Lumphinnans, Iron Works

Classification Brickworks (19th Century), Clay Workings (19th Century), Colliery (19th Century), Iron Works (19th Century), Ironstone Mine (19th Century), Tramway (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Lumphinnans Ironworks

Canmore ID 51091

Site Number NT19SE 22

NGR NT 1735 9282

NGR Description Centred NT 1735 9282

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51091

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Ballingry
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Activities

Field Visit (20 September 1991)

NT19SE 22 centred 1735 9282

Location formerly entered as centred NT 173 929.

All trace of Lumphinnans Ironworks and the associated mines, brickworks, tramroads, have been removed by opencast mining, housing and land reclamation. The Ironworks (NT 172 927) is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Fife & Kinross, 1856, sheet 31) but was disused by 1896 (OS 6-inch map, Fifeshire, 1896, sheet xxxiv NE). However, the brickworks that is depicted to the NE of the ironworks and beyond the reservoir in 1856 continued in use within Lumphinnans Colliery Pit No 1 (NT 1745 9304) until after 1938 (ibid, Provisional edition, Fifeshire, 1938 sheet xxxiv NE). These works were evidently in use from about 1854 until shortly after 1943, when the site was cleared (Douglas and Oglethorpe 1993).

Lumphinnans Colliery Pit No.7 was situated to the E of the works (at NT 1766 9283), it is depicted as in use in 1896 (ibid) but was evidently disused by 1938. The 1st edition map note an 'old coal pit' and an 'old engine house' at the site of Pit No.7, and also depicts another coal pit' to the NW (NT 1752 9300).

(Cleish91 164-172)

Visited by RCAHMS (SPH), 20 September 1991.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions