Inverkeithing, 26 Church Street, Old School House
House (18th Century), Pediment(S) (17th Century)
Site Name Inverkeithing, 26 Church Street, Old School House
Classification House (18th Century), Pediment(S) (17th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Old School House
Canmore ID 51017
Site Number NT18SW 90
NGR NT 1301 8300
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/51017
- Council Fife
- Parish Inverkeithing
- Former Region Fife
- Former District Dunfermline
- Former County Fife
NT18SW 90 1301 8300.
Built 1775; altered 1824 and 1907. Inset 17th-century pediments.
W Stephen 1921; RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928
Field Visit (12 June 1928)
Dormer Pediments, &c., Inverkeithing.
Two 17th-century dormer pediments are inserted in the schoolhouse in Church Street. On one is St. Peter holding a key in one hand and a church in the other, while the second pediment bears a ship. On the front of the adjoining property, No. 28 Church Street, is inserted a carved panel, representing a ship, in which is a figure of St. Peter bearing the crossed keys.
RCAHMS 1933, visited 12 June 1928.
Photographic Survey (1967)
Photographs of buildings on Church Street, Inverkeithing, Fife, by RCAHMS in 1967.
Publication Account (1981)
The earliest mention of a schoolmaster in the burgh occurs in 1582, although there is not an actual mention of a school building until nearly a century later. In 1672 the fraternity of bakers and maltmen offered a sum of money to pay for 'the building of a school, but the money was handed back and a school was not erected until 1675. It was re-erected in 1775.
Information from ‘Historic Inverkeithing: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1981).
