Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverkeithing Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Inverkeithing Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Inverkeithing, Chapel Place, Railway Station

Canmore ID 50973

Site Number NT18SW 51

NGR NT 13148 83360

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SW 51.00 13148 83360

Inverkeithing Station [NAT]

OS 1:2500 map [1966].

Location formerly entered as NT 1313 8335.

NT18SW 51.01 NT 13158 83331 East block with wicket fence (Southbound platform)

NT18SW 51.02 NT 13141 83377 Wicket Fence at West Platform (Northbound platform)

NT18SW 51.03 NT 13168 83138 Signal Box (to S of station)

NT18SW 51.04 NT 13180 83070 Goods Station

(Location cited as NT 132 833). Inverkeithing Station, rebuilt 1890 by the North British Railway. 2-platform through station, with brick and wood offices on both platforms.

J R Hume 1976.

North British Railway. Station buildings on W platform replaced by new building to N c. 1986. New footbridge installed (to improve disabled access) summer 2000.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 17 October 2000.

This intermediate station on the Edinburgh-Aberdeen (extension) portion of the former East Coast main Line was opened by the Dunfermline and Queensferry Rly on 1 November 1877. It was extensively rebuilt in 1890 as part of the improved railway network forming the approaches to the Forth (Rail) Bridge (NT17NW 70), and remains in regular use by passenger traffic. It is the junction station for both the Dunfermline side of the 'Fife Circle' route (to the N) and for the single-line 'Dockyard branch' (to the S); the former carries passenger traffic, but the latter no longer does so.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 24 August 2009.

R V J Butt 1998.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions