Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

North Queensferry Harbour, Pierhead, Lighthouse

Beacon (19th Century)

Site Name North Queensferry Harbour, Pierhead, Lighthouse

Classification Beacon (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ferry Pier; Lantern Tower; Royal Navy Signal House; St Margaret's Haven; St Margaret's Bay; Queensferry Narrows; Queensferry Passage

Canmore ID 50959

Site Number NT18SW 98.05

NGR NT 13129 80359

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50959

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SW 98.05 13129 80359

Not to be confused with beacon ('Ferry House' or 'Tower House') at NT 13101 80331, for which see NT18SW 98.04.

For (corresponding and associated) beacon on the Hawes Pier at South Queensferry (NT 13585 78649), see NT17NW 172.01.

(North Queensferry: location cited as NT 131 803). At landward end of Town (or Tower) Pier: John Rennie, c. 1810. Hexagonal ashlar tower with two string courses, moulded cornice and blocking course, supporting octagonal lantern, with four panes per face and domed copper roof with cross-shaped copper vent pipe.

J R Hume 1997.

This structure is depicted, but not noted, on the 1966 edition of the OS 1:2500 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 6 March 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (1999)

At the foot of the main street are two nineteenth-century buildings with close associations with the Ferry Passage and shipping. The first, a small hexagonal lighthouse figure 14, was erected c 1810. Built of droved ashlar, it is capped with a copper lantern. Nearby, and of a similar date, stands the Tower House, or Signal House, or Mount Hooly figure 10. An octagonal building, with a modern extension to the north, it functioned as the waiting room for ferry travellers and the base of Captain Scott, the first superintendent of the Queensferry Passage. Captain Scott's dwelling house, Seabank Cottage, still stands on the south side of the present main road leading westwards out of the village.

Mount Hooly stands at the head of the Town Pier figure 13. Rebuilt in 1810-13, according to the plans of engineer John Rennie and extended in 1828 by Thomas Telford, this was the landing point for the ferry boats crossing from South Queensferry.

Information from ‘Historic North Queensferry and the Peninsula: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1999).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions