Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Charles Hill Battery

Coastal Battery (Second World War)

Site Name Charles Hill Battery

Classification Coastal Battery (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Forth Defences

Canmore ID 50889

Site Number NT18SE 27

NGR NT 18635 83806

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50889

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dalgety
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SE 27.00 18635 83806

NT18SE 27.01 NT 18642 83805 Gun-emplacement

NT18SE 27.02 NT 18636 83771, NT 18637 83761 and NT 18631 83752 Searchlight Battery

NT18SE 27.03 centred NT 18518 83726 Engine house; Huts

NT18SE 27.04 c. NT1858 8378 Spigot Mortar mounting

NT18SE 27.05 c. NT1852 8373 Anti-aircraft site

NT18SE 27.06 centred NT 1848 8381 Military camp

NT18SE 27.07 NT18626 83863 Searchlight emplacement (Lyon light)

Converted from militia camp to gun and searchlight site, 1940.

N H Clark 1986.

This concrete battery is situated to the E of the Braefoot Gas Terminal (NT18SE 23), consists of one twin 6-pounder gun emplacement, three fixed beam searchlight and Lyon light emplacements and an engine room. In addition there is one UP mounting which has used Monk's Cave (NT18SE 1) as a magazine and one spigot mortar emplacement.

The gun emplacement has now collapsed and the observation post has been demolished.

This site was an army camp before conversion to a battery.

J Guy 1994; NMRS MS 810/3; PRO WO/192/258

The coast battery is visible on a series of RAF WW II oblique aerial photographs (309E, 2231-2234, flown 6 April 1941) and on postwar RAF vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 12, Pt.1, 6075-6077, flown 15 April 1946).

The gun battery has several elements, including a 'Lyon Light' emplacement, UP fixed projectile mounting and a spigot mortar mounting.

Most of the standing structures are constructed using shuttered concrete and brick. There is damage to the gun-emplacement, the front wall has been broken through and the battery observation post has been removed.

Charles Hill Battery is documented as having a single 6-pounder gun in 1940, designated 250 Battery and manned by 504 Regiment. (PRO WO 192/251; WO 199/2627; 199/527). The battery was later provided with a twin 6-pounder gun.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions