Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalgety Bay, St Bridget's Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dalgety Bay, St Bridget's Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Old Parish Church Of Dalgety

Canmore ID 50883

Site Number NT18SE 2

NGR NT 16956 83795

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50883

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dalgety
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SE 2.00 1695 8378

(NT 1695 8378) St Bridget's Kirk (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, Fife (1967).

NT18SE 2.01 NT 1694 8377 Watch House

This church, dedicated to St Bridget, was the parish church of Dalgety until 1830, when the modern church was erected at NT 1669 8454. It is now roofless and ruinous. According to Millar, the church is mentioned in Papal Bull of 1178 as in the possession of Inchcolm Abbey, and was reconsecrated in 1244. Little remains of the fabric of the church of 1244; it was a single-chambered structure to which post-Reformation aisles and a 17th century building have been added.

The old village of Dalgety, which stood in the vicinity of the church, and disappeared by 1836.

St Bridget's Church (S Piggott and W D Simpson 1970):

NSA 1845; A H Millar 1895; F W Simon 1905; RCAHMS 1933, visited 1925.

This church, in good condition, is as described.

The lower courses of the W walls of the N and S mortuary aisles are now visible.

No evidence could be seen of the former village of Dalgety in the cultivated land around the church.

Visited by OS (AC), 11 March 1959.

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (BS), 17 November 1975.

Examination of 11 17th century graves within the burial vault in the NW corner of the church, was undertaken by HBMD, February 1987.

Information from F Stewart (HBMD{SDD}) to OS, 21 May 1987

A photographic survey of graveyard monuments was carried out during the summers of 1987 and 1988 by R G K Arnott.

R G K Arnott 1989, NMRS MS/997/1.

Activities

Photographic Record (1985)

Recording of gravestones in the churchyard of St Bridget's Church, Dalgety Bay, Fife, by Mrs Betty Willsher c1985.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions