Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fordell Castle

Castle (Medieval), Fortified House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Fordell Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Fortified House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 50870

Site Number NT18NW 8

NGR NT 14696 85388

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50870

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dalgety
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18NW 8.00 14696 85388

NT18NW 8.01 147 853 Garden

NT18NW 8.02 14435 85422 Walled Garden

NT18NW 8.03 14015 85831 North West Gate

NT18NW 8.04 14441 85522 Gardener's House and Bothy

NT18NW 8.05 14445 85506 Sundial

NT18NW 8.06 14448 85499 Fountain

(NT 1470 8539) Fordell Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1967)

Fordell Castle was built in 1580, probably on the site of an earlier residence, enclosed with walls having a portcullised gate and drawbridge, which was burned down in 1568, and of which no trace remains. The house is Z-shaped in plan with the main block running E-W and stair wings projecting from the NW and SE angles. Circular turrets are corbelled out from the remaining angles.

It was superseded by a modern mansion (Fordell House: NS 1494 8521) but has been restored and is maintained in good condition.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887; RCAHMS 1933, visited 1925; N Tranter 1963.

Architecture Notes

NT18NW 8.00 14696 85388

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Carnegie Dunfermline Trust, Cat.No. CDT 974. Photograph, late 19th Century view

Scotsman Magazine, No 3. June 1980 - text & photographs

Dr Thomas Ross - Manuscript notes

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions